Thalassemia is a blood disorder affecting red blood cells. The bone marrow is a part of the bones that produces red blood cells. A protein called “haemoglobin” is used by red blood cells to transport oxygen to all areas of the body. Anemia is a condition in which the blood contains insufficient haemoglobin. Dr. Vikas Dua is best Thalassemia Specialist Doctor in India provides the best Thalassemia Treatment in Delhi NCR.
One or more of the genes that make haemoglobin do not function properly in thalassemia. As a consequence, the body produces insufficient haemoglobin. Thalassemia is divided into two types. Depending on which genes are involved, they are referred to as “alpha” or “beta” thalassemia. The condition may be more or less severe depending on the form.
What are the different types of Beta Thalassemia? Depending on which Genes are involved, what may be the severity this may cause in Children?
There are few distinct types
- Transfusion-dependent beta thalassemia – When anaemia is serious enough to necessitate blood transfusions as early as infancy, this is known as transfusion-dependent beta thalassemia. When a person inherits an irregular gene from both parents and both genes are seriously impaired, this occurs.
- Non-transfusion-dependent beta thalassemia – This is a milder type of beta thalassemia. This type of person has anaemia and may require blood transfusions in some cases, but not always. This can happen when a person inherits an abnormal gene from both parents but only has a minor effect on both genes. It may also occur if an individual inherits a gene from only one parent, but the gene is badly affected.
- Beta thalassemia trait – People who have beta thalassemia trait have no symptoms. They may not even be aware that they have it. When a person inherits an irregular gene from only one parent and the gene is only slightly affected, this is what happens.
Speaking about symptoms of transfusion-dependent beta thalassemia appear after a baby is a few months old, says Dr. Vikas Dua, the best Thalassemia Specialist Doctor in India. Among the signs and symptoms are:
- Pale skin is a term used to describe a person who has a pale complexion
- Acting irritable or agitated
- Not rising as quickly as expected
- Swelling of the stomach
- Yellowing of the skin or the whites of the eyes
- The bones of the face or skull are larger than they should be.
In some cases a few signs appear when areas of the body that do not usually produce red blood cells attempt to do so. This explains why some people experience swelling or irregular bone or belly development.
Another thing that can happen over time is the accumulation of so much iron in the body. This occurs because a lack of haemoglobin allows the body to take in more iron than it requires, even though it is not required.
Screening and Testing for Thalassemia
Thalassemia is commonly detected during pregnancy or soon after birth. All pregnant women should be screened for thalassemia to see whether their child is at risk of being born with the disorder. Blood tests can also be performed at any age to detect thalassemia or to determine if you are a carrier of the faulty gene that causes it.
Thalassemia Treatment by Dr. Vikas Dua, the best Thalassemia Specialist Doctor in India
Thalassemia is a hereditary disorder and non-curable most of the times. Patient with thalassemia major or other serious types will require specialized treatment and care for the rest of their lives.
The main treatments are:
Blood transfusions: Regular blood transfusions cure and prevent anemia; in severe situations, they are required once a month.
Chelation therapy: Treatment with medicine to remove excess iron from the body that accumulates as a result of taking regular blood transfusions; some patients with thalassemia develop an iron buildup even without receiving transfusions and require treatment for this.
The only possible cure for thalassemia is a STEM CELL OR BONE MARROW TRANSPLANT.
Why Choose Dr. Vikas Dua For Thalassemia Treatment
Dr. Vikas Dua is one of the best pediatric haemato oncologist and Bone Marrow Specialists in India known for his excellent work in stem cell transplantation, which is highly successful. He serves patients from around the world. As Thalassemia Specialist Doctor in India, Dr. Vikas Dua is able to deliver excellent results for anyone who travels to India for bone marrow transplant treatment.